University of Turku, Degree Program in Cultural Production and Landscape Studies offers studies in Digital Culture, Cultural Heritage Studies, Landscape Studies, Cultural Tourism, Cultural Management and Museum Studies and Material Culture. University of Tampere, School of Social Sciences and Humanities, Department at Pori offers studies in Social Policy, Social Work and Sociology.
Please note that in order to register for the self-study courses you need to contact directly the person in charge of the specific course. In addition, you are advised to contact the International Office (international(at)ucpori.fi) concerning the study right of the specific course and including it in your Learning Agreement.
The following courses can be completed as self-study courses.
University of Turku, Degree Program in Cultural Production and Landscape Studies
- P1 Digital World (5 cr) book exam / written essay upon agreement in English. Person in charge of the course: Professor in Digital Culture
- P5 Supplementary Literature, Perspectives of Digital Culture (4 cr) book exam / written essay upon agreement in English.Person in charge of the course: Staff of Digital Culture
- A3 Essential Topics in Digital Culture (6 cr) book exam / written essay upon agreement in English
- a) Cultural Change of Technology
- b) Game Cultures (lectures in English, please consult the course curriculum)
- c) Online Communities
Person in charge of the course: a) Professor and University Lecturer in Digital Culture, b) University Lecturer in Digital Culture, c) University Teacher in Digital Culture
- A5 Supplementary Specialization (Max. 10cr). Person in charge of the course: Staff of Digital Culture
Cultural Heritage Studies
- A4a Memory, Landscape and Interpretation (4 cr) book exam / written essay upon agreement in English. Person in charge of the course: University Lecturer in Cultural Heritage
- A2a Representations of European Past (5 cr) book exam / written essay upon agreement in English.Person in charge of the course: Professor of Cultural Heritage
- A5 Optional Studies (5 cr) book exams in English on the subject of cultural heritage upon agreement. Person in charge of the course: Professor of Cultural Heritage.
- A4 Conservation of Cultural Environment (4 cr) Book exam / written essay upon agreement in English.Person in charge of the course: Professor in Landscape Studies
- S2 Cultural Planning (5/10 cr) This is an advanced course which requires some previous knowledge on the subject; please contact the person in charge to if you are a bachelor student and wish to attend the class. Note that the teaching will be in English if there are international students attending, otherwise the course will be taught in Finnish. The course will be held in Spring 2017.
University of Tampere, Social Sciences
- SOP03.6 Action research as a Tool for Developing Welfare Services 5 ETCS. Literature for a Book Examination or Essay in English:
- Reason, Peter & Bradbury, Hilary (toim.) 2008. The SAGE Handbook of Action Research. Participative Inquiry and Practice. Second Edition. London: SAGE. Part I: Groundings and Part IV: Skills.
- Coghlan, David & Brannick, Teresa 2010. Doing Action Research in Your Own Organization. Third Edition. Sage.
- Lehtonen, Jarmo & Kalliola, Satu (toim.) 2008. Dialogue in Working Life Research in Finland. Labour, Education & Society 13. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang.
- STVAPAS Social work in Nordic countries 5 ECTS. Book exam / written essay. Responsible teacher: Timo Toikko timo.toikko(at)uta.fi.
Learning outcomes: The student perceives social work as local and global activity. The student is aware of the cultural and societal background and approaches of social work and social issues in Nordic countries. The student can identify differences between social work environments and approaches.
Contents: Local and global diversity of social work, basic issues defining social work in Nordic countries.
- Forsberg, Hannele & Kröger, Teppo (eds) 2010. Social Work and Child Welfare Politics through Nordic Lenses. Bristol: Policy Press 2010.
- Hutchinson, Gunn Strand (ed.) 2009. Community work in the Nordic countries - New Trends. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget.
- Andersen,Torben & Holmström, Bengt & Honkapohja, Seppo & Korkman, Sixten & Söderström, Hans & Vartiainen, Juhana 2007. The Nordic Model - Embracing globalization and sharing risks. Helsinki: The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy ETLA. Available in http://www.etla.fi/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/B232.pdf.